P

P

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Progress

First off, sweet baby Caroline is doing well. I'm sorry for taking a while for an update, I assure you all that we've been quite busy. At one o'clock today, she was 5 days old and post Norwood 48 hours. The first night was bumpy because of some blood pressure issues and her heart was just waking back up and pacing itself from the operation. She was placed on the ever so popular lasix medicine to help her pee and get rid of the excess fluids so they can close her chest. When she was on that medicine for a while and showing no real changes, they decided to start giving her dopamine to increase blood pressure. Increasing her blood pressure sent a signal to her kidneys...and we have pee! We get pretty excited about pee around here, it means we are on the right track. She is scheduled to have her chest closed tomorrow morning at 9 am. This is another surgery, so pray that all goes well and she can get off of the paralytic and start to breathe on her own. So, that is the big picture. She is stable, getting her chest closed tomorrow, and then we can start looking forward to our next big step...which is getting her of the ventilator. She really is sweet. I love on her as much as possible and they let me put our blankets, socks and hats on.
Parker has come to see me a few times now here at the hospital. He can't see the baby because he still isn't feeling well, but it's hard for me because he acts so different. He will still let me love on him for a minute, but he just gets so occupied with other things. He is at the age that makes him hard to handle, and everyone jumps in "helping" out like I haven't raised my child for 2 1/2 years...but I'm thankful that I don't have to worry about his care. Believe me when I say that he is already rotten to the core.





2 comments:

  1. Perfect timing! I just commented on the old post, hoping to see a new one soon reporting progress :) Thrilled to see she is doing well and looking good. Sometimes I can't believe I was once in your shoes. The auto-pilot you're mind goes into is amazingly strong - or maybe its just pure exhaustion. Either way, keep up the good work mom and dad - and especially Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news!! She did so well through the first 48 hours, which is always the most critical. Way to go Caroline!! :) Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers for a continued smooth and swift recovery! :)

    ReplyDelete